Friday, June 24, 2016

Shipwreck Near Skagway!

The bark Canada shipwrecked near Skagway in 1898, 118 years ago. For eight years I've been anxious to explore what remains; however, the tide has always covered her. Today? There she was! Ray Tsang and I pulled my Honda Fit to the roadside and headed down to the beach. Yes, yes, yes! I was excited.

One might ask, How did the Canada get here in the first place? The National Park Service explains the basics on an interpretive sign up by my car.
One Last Adventure 
Klondike business is bringing out of retirement a number of craft which might very properly be termed floating coffins…Among the venerable “windjammers” that are being prepared for this trade is the old bark Canada.  Portland Oregonian, January 1, 1898 
The tale of the bark Canada is as ­­­exciting as a swashbuckling sea novel. Although her final resting place lies in the cold water below, her surprising story lives on.
The bark Canada, a merchant “windjammer,” was built in Bath, Maine, in 1859. During her 39 years at sea she hauled a variety of cargo to ports on six continents and in over twenty countries. She was damaged by hurricanes witnessed mutinies, enduring labor strikes, and once collided with another ship. Yet the Canada’s most exciting episode happened­­­ toward the end of her life.
When news of a major gold discovery in the Klondike reached the world, any vessel that floated was pressed into service for the Alaska trade. In late January 1898, the aging Canada with a cargo of building materials, set out on her last adventure.
But how to get out there, where the sea lapped the land?


Ray and I had to first cross a stream... This was an adventure in and of itself. He didn't want to go.


But I was determined. He filmed it (won't load here), but wait. Now I didn't have my phone to take pictures. I wobbled and shrieked back over (this too didn't film, except the secondary finish).


I started to go back over when Ray came up with the idea of walking sticks for my balance. Why didn't he think of this in the first place? Now I to face the slime and barnacles in my less-than-ideal footwear. Crocks. But it was worth it. Half way there I realized he was following--his stick idea giving him, I guess, the fortitude to dare the creek. Here is what we found.




Time to go back. Ray crossed first, with his sticks, and then hurled them over to me. I must have followed because here I am, back home, trying to figure out why his videos of me going over the stream twice didn't work.



Oh well, it was a great adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment